|What are you trying to do??  Any distro will tell you a
|service is started if it's already running.   You do a
|/etc/init.d/service restart if you want to restart it.
| This is equivalent of a stop then a start.  Gentoo's init
|service is the same as all the others - the directories
|may be different but they all do /etc/somedir/servicename
|start/stop/restart/... .
]- Ok I first wanted to do several services net.xxx based for bringing my hdlc0 and
]pvc0 interfaces (frame relay). Such scripts are not available with gentoo.. (there is
]such for rh, mandrake etc...) which is OK...
I thought better then Gentoo has a depencity system so I can make it better way i.e.
chain the devices 'cause if u know : PVC devices depend on HDLC...
I started to do it... but then i realised that
depend() { ... } can depend only on another service, but not on some other condition
.. So if I want to do depencity
I have to make many scripts..  and the PVC devices can be much more than eth
devices....
Then comes the inability to pass additional parameters to service..  etc..etc..
these are minor things but together they become pain in the a..... :")), not that i
cant live with it.. jsut mentioning..

about the "service" question it is really better shortcut than /etc/init.d/service
.... Even better if the gentoo team shortcut it to say "ss" (start-service)..
There is thousand way to do it yes... but when u have a couple of machines it is not
the lazy way...:")