Hi there. I've been a loyal Debian user for years, and I'm now giving
Gentoo a try.  For the most part I'm liking it, but there's a couple of
things that I'd like to know about "emerge".

I've read the man page, and it appears that the only search options are
"search" which only searches the (very terse) package descriptions and
package names for hits, and the "-S" option, which takes
for-flippin'-ever.  At this point, I'm really missing "apt-cache"
because I can't find which package provides "xlsfonts" and "xfontsel".

Actually the root of this problem is that I need to install iso-8859-2
(for Croatian) and VISCII,VNR,TCNV (for Vietnamese) fonts on my machine.
  I'm also having trouble with emacs not allowing non-latin1 formats.

So if you have any suggestions on making me feel more "at home" in
Gentoo (i.e., getting comfortable with "emerge" and any other gentoo
specific tools), I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

--
Stephen W. Juranich                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electrical Engineering         http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic