Really the only time you'll see make.globals appear is when you've downgraded portage
as you just have.  It is quite alrigth in this case to keep the new or the old
make.globals, either one will be quite acceptable.  I tend to keep the one from the
portage I'm downgrading from in this situation, hwoever if make.globals change may be
the very reasonf or needing to downgrade then that is not the best choice.

--Brandon