Mat Branyon wrote:

> I just recently switched to gentoo.  I am using fluxbox and it never
> seems to keep the time correct.  I just updated the time via ntpdate
> (which is also set in my crontab to run every nite).  It had the right
> time, but now I look at it and it's roughly an hour and ten minutes
> fast.  What does this kind of error mean?  How would I fix it?
>
> This is the ntpdate output:
>
> 24 Feb 14:25:30 ntpdate[15564]: adjust time server 140.221.8.88 offset
> -0.208179 sec

        Have you tried to install ntpd ?

        Set this up and just leave it running, and it will keep your clock in
sync with a master server.

        Go to http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ and read what it is and what it
does. it is much better than relying on ntpdate to correct your clock
every so many hours.

        ALL computer clocks drift, no matter what computer/motherboard/RTC,
they all drift.

        Have a look at ntp.drift mine is ...

> wwm # cat /etc/ntp/ntp.drift
> 24.003

        If you get really paranoid, go get a GPS receiver like the old Motorola
GPS Engine, hook to your Serial port, install the interface software and
set your computer clock to this stratum 1 time service.

--

        Rod Smart
        Pre Production Coordinator

        Rohwedder Pty. Ltd.
        53 Rocco Drive
        Scoresby 3179
        Victoria Australia

        Tel: +61-3-9763-6455
        Fax: +61-3-9763-7043

PLEASE NOTE:
This e-mail and its content is not legally binding as long as not
explicitly confirmed in writing by Rohwedder Pty Ltd.
The information contained is confidential and intended for the
exclusive use by the addressee designated above. If you have received
this message by mistake, please contact us immediately.