It just occurred to me that perhaps it is a hardware problem?  I just
remembered that I moved the machine over a few feet and the 3ft ethernet
cable I was using was too short so I switched to a longer cable.  This
wouldn't explain the Mac OS X problems (since it had the problem with the
3ft cable), but I can't remember if I saw the problem with OpenBSD before
I swapped cables.