On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 00:54, Matt Davis wrote:
> Wow, I've never had a distro make me feel like such a n00b but I've got a
> quick question.  I performed an emerge xfree and set up xfree as I usually
> do (using the nv driver) but it isn't working.  I look in the log and on
> the nv driver it only goes up to GeForce 3.
>
> Hmmmm.
>
> I'm using the gentoo sources for when I built my kernel.  I looked through
> the FAQ and can't even get to the point where that is helpful (hoping for a
> more step by step solution)... it says try Xfree using NV as a driver first
> and I can't get that working.
>
> Any ideas?  Did I somehow get a really old version of X?  Log says 4.2.1.
> I've emerged nvidia-glx.

the problem is that xfree 4.2.x only supports geforces up to 3
geforce4 is supported in xfree 4.3...

so you can do 2 things:
(from now on i refer to 'nv' as the xfree-geforce driver and 'nvidia' as
the driver from www.nvidia.com

1. emerge xfree will install xfree4.2.99 ( which is basically an
xfree4.3 prerelease) on your computer, and it will work
2. emerge nvidia-kernel and emerge nvidia-glx. this will install the
binary driver from www.nvidia.com

you have to use opengl-update ( it tells the system which opengl driver
to use.. possibilities : "opengl-update xfree" "opengl-update nvidia" )

you have to modify your /etc/X11/XF86Config:
if you're going to  use the xfree-driver,
Driver "nv"
in the appropriate section

if you're going to sue the nvidia-binary-driver,
Driver "nvidia"

that's all,
gabor

p.s: the nv driver is more stable + no 3d acceleration at all.. the
nvidia driver is less stable + faster in 2d + 3d acceleration