I rebooted and the machine is hung at "Verifying DMI pool data. It sat there like that for 10 minutes. I hit the reset and the same thing. It's been like that for an hour now. Is my new drive toast? does anyone have any ideas?

I would suggest you un-plug the hard drive or plug in another one (if available) to see if the problem still exists. Sometimes, when stuff like that happen, the MBR (master boot record) of the hard drive gets confused so if all else fails and you don't get the "Verifying DMA pool data" error with that hard drive not in your system, you could try to erase the master boot record. But be warned, if you have data on the hard drive more than likely it will be inaccessible after you do this.

Jason

Ernie Schroder wrote:

I've got the new machine built. Leadtek nForce2 based mobo, AthlonXP2100 512megs DDR2700... I couldn't get the onboard nic or a pci slot nic fired up with my 1.4-rc2 live cd but an rc3 CD boots with the gentoo nonet option and dhcpcd eth0 fires it up fine.
Any way, I started my install and partitioned and formatted the new 80 gig drive, then started the steps to make directories and mount the partitions. First thing I noticed, when I did "mkdir /mnt/gentoo" it told me it couldn't create the directory because there already was a /mnt/gentoo. How can that be?
While I was pondering that, the power went out.Yup, the UPS was sitting on the dryer in the laundry room charging up....

-- -Jason Giangrande giangrande.org - http://www.giangrande.org <http://www.giangrande.org/> Dog's I View - http://www.dogsiview.com <http://www.dogsiview.com/>