I've spent the last day working through a stage 1 install on an IBM Thinkpad T22. The install seems OK so far, except for pcmcia. For some reason pcmcia fails on startup.

"/etc/init.d/pcmcia start" returns:
/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r1/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not permitted

cardmgr[pid]: no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices

"modprobe ds" returns similar error messages

I suspect my problem lies with my kernel configuration. I'm not sure how to compile the kernel so that the necessary support is there, but not too much to keep pcmcia-cs from running correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cory