On Sunday 09 March 2003 18:26, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
> Isn't there something about using notail with Reiser in some setups?

Yes, you must use 'notail' for all your boot/root partitions.

I don't know if changing the option will fix the problem all by itself,
though...you may need to remake the partition, possibly with some special
options to mkreiserfs.

I use Reiser, myself, but I've never been able to successfully boot using a
ReiserFS boot and/or root partition.

> > I'm installing Gentoo 1.4rc2 on an Athlon 1800+ with 256MB RAM and a
> > 40GB disk.  I'm using stage3 and the Gentoo Reference Platform (from
> > gentoo-grp-athlon-xp-1.4_rc2.iso).  The system is installed, and I boot
> > (for the first time) with GRUB, and I get a kernel panic.  This is the
> > message:
> >
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "hda4" or 03:04
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:04
> >
> > This is part of /boot/grub/grub.conf:
> >
> > title=Gentoo Linux
> > root (hd0,0)
> > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda4
> >
> > This is my partition list (from fdisk):
> >
> > Device     Boot  Start   End     Blocks      Id     System
> > /dev/hda1           1     26     208813+     83     Linux
> > /dev/hda2          27    157    1052257+     82     Linux Swap
> > /dev/hda3         158   1177    8193150      83     Linux
> > /dev/hda4        1178   4865   29623860      83     Linux
> >
> > This is part of my /etc/fstab:
> >
> > /dev/hda1    /boot    ext2        noauto,noatime    1  2
> > /dev/hda4    /        reiserfs    noatime           0  1
> >
> >     I have ReiserFS statically compiled into the kernel.  It seems that my
> > kernel can't find (or mount) my root partition, and I'm not sure why.
> > What is going on here?  How do I fix the problem?  Thanks.
> >

> >                     -Brian Doob

Joshua J. Berry

"I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere."
    -- /usr/games/fortune

PGP Key: http://deneb.condordes.net/node/16/view

NOTE: Please do not submit this email address to any mailing
lists or websites without prior permission.  Thank you.