Perhaps...I'm just going based on the Gentoo installation instructions, and my
own (basic) understanding of ReiserFS.

(see http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml#doc_chap6)

I haven't actually done any research into why this may or may not be needed,
but IIRC Reiser packs the tails of files together into a single block if
there's any wasted space. Notail disables this behavior, which some
bootloaders may not be able to handle. (Imagine having the last few hundred
bytes of your kernel mixed in with some other file in the same block...LILO
can't handle it, I don't know about grub.)

On Sunday 09 March 2003 18:47, Doug Gorley wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 18:32, Joshua J. Berry wrote:
> > Yes, you must use 'notail' for all your boot/root partitions.
> >
> > I don't know if changing the option will fix the problem all by itself,
> > though...you may need to remake the partition, possibly with some special
> > options to mkreiserfs.
> >
> > I use Reiser, myself, but I've never been able to successfully boot using
> > a ReiserFS boot and/or root partition.
>
> I don't think that's neccessarily the case.  My /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/hda3     /       reiserfs        noatime 0 0
>
> I've installed Gentoo 1.4_rc2 on three separate machines, each using
> ReiserFS as the root partition, and none of them with "notail."  I've
> not had a problem with any of them.

Joshua J. Berry

"I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere."
    -- /usr/games/fortune

PGP Key: http://deneb.condordes.net/node/16/view

NOTE: Please do not submit this email address to any mailing
lists or websites without prior permission.  Thank you.