Joshua Moore-Oliva said:
> I am attempting unsuccessfully to use ssmtp to send an email...  I am
attempting to do this from php, but I dropped to command line to help
clarify  the problem.

> chatgris root # ssmtp [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Hi
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> ssmtp: Cannot open mail:25

I installed ssmtp for the first time just a few days ago and got exactly
the same error message as you. I found the Internet search engine
Yahoo.com most useful, as this link shows: <http://tinyurl.com/7qmz>

I particularly like this HOWTO
<http://slashetc.net/stuff/mutt/howto.html>, which comments:
  sSMTP is farily low on options -- there isn't much you can configure. So
the easy thing to do is to just give an example sSMTP configuration
file. This file resides in /etc. [/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf]

I observe also that `man smtp` is also installed by the ebuild. It states:
  FILES
        /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf - configuration file

This file has an entry:
  mailhub=smtp.your.isp.net

I suspect you will also have to enter a legitimate hostname; mine is:
  hostname=modem12345.dsl.my.isp.net

I hope this helps,

Stroller.