Hi Kurt,

If someone else out here knows something I don't, feel free to jump in.

The system packages are part of the profile for your architecture which is part of the
portage tree.  You could remove the "*" from the ftp and iptables lines in
/etc/make.profile/packkages, but it will be  put back in the next time you do an
emerge sync, so there really isn't a way to get rid of them other than to ask the
developers to take them out of the system profile.

William