begin  quote
On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:17:18 -0600
William Hubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Kurt,
>
> If someone else out here knows something I don't, feel free to jump
> in.
>
> The system packages are part of the profile for your architecture
> which is part of the portage tree.  You could remove the "*" from the
> ftp and iptables lines in /etc/make.profile/packkages, but it will be
> put back in the next time you do an emerge sync, so there really isn't
> a way to get rid of them other than to ask the developers to take them
> out of the system profile.

There is a way.
cp -a /usr/portage/profiles/your-profile /etc/my-profile, and then
relink the make.profile (you know how to do this, its in the install
document.  you decided the profile yourself ;-)

then just edit the profile. be sure to be careful and check if the
default profile is updated compared to yours at a regular basis.

(profiles evolve, albeit slowly)

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!