I 've set up a wireless network at home but I am having the following problem:
I can ping all the computers on the internal network but i cannot connect to
computers outside the network. It seems that the computer that is supposed to
act at the router is not doing its job. I would appreciate step-by-step
instructions from anyone who has succeeded. I am using Orinoco PCMCIA cards
operating in Ad-Hoc mode. I've compiled in iptables as a module (everything
was compiled in under the iptables heading as a module) on the router.

Strangely, when I try:
I get an error:
iptables: Invalid argument
due to the '-j MASQUERADE' term. Below are some outputs that might be useful.

BASE STATION (some IPs have been removed for posting)

==== networks.opts ====
*,*,*,00:02:2D:8B:29:BD)
# WiFi card
    IPADDR="192.168.1.11"
    NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
    ;;

*,*,*,00:09:5B:07:82:34)
# 10base-T Ethernet card
    IPADDR="xx.xx.xxx.xxx"
    NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
    GATEWAY="xx.xx.xxx.x"
    ;;

esac

==== wireless.opts ====
case "$ADDRESS" in
*,*,*,*)
    INFO="My 802.11b Network Settings"
    ESSID="XXXX XXXX"
    MODE="Ad-Hoc"
    RATE="auto"
    KEY="s:XXXX"
    ;;
esac

legolas root # lsmod
orinoco_cs              5012   1
orinoco                42444   0  [orinoco_cs]
hermes                  6532   0  [orinoco_cs orinoco]
ds                      7464   1  [orinoco_cs]
i82365                 41664   1
pcmcia_core            47808   0  [orinoco_cs ds i82365]
ipt_MASQUERADE          1560   0  (autoclean)
iptable_nat            19932   1  (autoclean) [ipt_MASQUERADE]
ip_conntrack           26056   1  (autoclean) [ipt_MASQUERADE iptable_nat]
iptable_filter          1740   0  (autoclean) (unused)
ip_tables              13688   5  [ipt_MASQUERADE iptable_nat iptable_filter]
ide-cd                 33292   0  (autoclean)
sr_mod                 16312   0  (autoclean) (unused)
scsi_mod               96692   1  (autoclean) [sr_mod]
cdrom                  33280   0  (autoclean) [ide-cd sr_mod]
rtc                     8220   0  (autoclean)
usbcore                74720   1
natsemi                17888   1

legolas root # cat /root/scripts/set_router.sh
iptables -F
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT