On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 12:05, Eugene Van Dam wrote:
> How does "emerge -up world" decide which packages it wants to install?
> What if there is a package
> (ex.   [ebuild    U ] net-misc/dhcpcd-1.3.22_p3-r3  )
> that i do not want to install? How can I remove or change what "emerge -u
> world" would do?

emerge -u world only upgrades packages that are already installed and it
assumes that you would like to upgrade packages that are either part of
the system or that you have chosen.  It also includes the effect of
emerge -u system and as a result updates the system packages too.  Not
performing these recommended updates or even worse uninstalling packages
to prevent their upgrade can contribute to the ill health of your
system.  Also, often a new dependency becomes available to an already
installed package and if you do not install that dependency there is
potential for applications breaking or complaining.  Act with care.
There is a reason why updates occur.