On Wednesday 26 March 2003 14:16, Patrick Marquetecken wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 March 2003 08.58, Patrick Marquetecken wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > when i run update-modules (i'm installing alsa) i get this error.
> > >
> > > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > > /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r1/kernel/fs/nfsd/nfsd.o depmod: ***
> > > Unresolved symbols in
> > > /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r1/misc/svgalib_helper.o
> >
> > Make sure the symbolic linux link is pointing to the right kernel tree.
> > backup .config
> > make mrproper
> > cp backup_of_config to .config
> > make oldconfig
> > make dep
> > make modules
> > make modules_install
> > emerge alsa-driver
>
> instead of make oldconfig i dit make menuconfig and loadted my old file,
> and this is nog the result after update-modules !!

have you made a bzImage with your .config
and have you booted with this kernel before you executed update-modules?

my way:
1. make menuconfig
2. make dep
3. perhaps make clean
4. make bzImage modules modules_install
5. copy the bzImage to /boot/
6. reboot, because the used kernel should fit to the modules
7. modules_update / depmod -a or whatever

After each modules_install you have to reemerge alsa-drivers
(because modules_install cleans your lib/modules/xxxx/kernel/and_so_on

Joe