Hello all,

I am using gentoo rc3 with vcron and ssmtp. On the boot-console I regularly get the message

sendmail: cannot open mail:25

In /root/dead.letter I see the line

        /bin/sh: line 1: root: command not found

I havn't changed anything in the ssmtp configuration. On my gentoo box at home everything works fine with the default settings. Both machines don't have a simple hostname (no FQDN).

The problem was discussed in gentoo forums, but the only solution proposed was to emerge procmail or another MTU. The setting of MAILTO="" doesn't have any effect on vcron. Is it possible to solve the problem without installing a MTU? How do I set up ssmtp correctly? Help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Philip