On Wed, 28 May 2003 09:15:19 -0400
Ernie Schroder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 May 2003 11:59 pm, Jerry McBride wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 May 2003 11:10:05 +0800 Yusuf Nagree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > > Hope this isn't a silly question, but how do you get emerge to
> > > install the latest packages.. I've been searching around for the
> > > answer and haven't come up with anything
> > >
> > > eg. in the samba directory, we have versions 2.28, 2.28a,
> > > 3.0alp22, 3.0alp23.
> > >
> > > when I do an emerge samba, it wants to install 2.28a - I can't get
> > > it to install 3.0alp23 automatically
> >
> > Emerge the complete path...
> >
> > emerge /usr/portage/net-fs/samba/samba-xxxxxxxxxx.ebuild
>
> Strange... Why don't I see the masked samba ebuilds when I do:
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -up samba?  or:
>  # ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -s samba?

Because the 3.0-packages are not only in the untested branch (~x86), but
have additionally been masked in /usr/portage/profile/package.mask.
Until they are removed from that file, they will not be recognized even
if you use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86". You will therefore have to
directly emerge the ebuild with complete path. However, packages that
are in packages.mask are usually masked for a good reason.

Einar