I just finished installing gentoo yesterday, then I
printed the Desktop Config. Guide.
The guide said to put "gtk" and "gnome" in my USE in
/etc/make.conf, which I had done before, it also
suggested (opptional though) that I put "-kde" and
"-qt", but I didn't do that, because I wanted to
install kde next.
So I did
emerge gnome, after many long hours, it said:
!!!Error: media-video/avifile-0.7.32.20030219 failed.
!!!Function econf, Line 304, Exitcode 77
!!!econf failed

The basic reason that I wanted gnome was to try it
out, and because I really like gdm, is it possible to
install gdm without having gnome installed?

How do I fix the above error? Did the stuff compiled
before it just earase? Please explain.

I thank you for any replies.