I thought it was gcc v < 3, but I may be mistaken. My flags are set for athlon-mp, which is the cpu I've got in this box.

This start-up issue is very recent, some have suggested backing down to Xfree 4.2 to resolve it, but if I do that the next day I do an 'emerge -UpD world' it will try to upgrade to xfree 4.3.

Peter McCracken wrote:

It says in my make.conf that athlon-4 will cause invalid instructions;
nothing special is said about athlon-xp. Which version of gcc has
problems with athlon-xp?

-Peter