On Sunday 22 June 2003 12:35 pm, Steve Fox wrote:
> I thought it was gcc v < 3, but I may be mistaken.  My flags are set
> for athlon-mp, which is the cpu I've got in this box.
>
> This start-up issue is very recent, some have suggested backing down
> to Xfree 4.2 to resolve it, but if I do that the next day I do an
> 'emerge -UpD world' it will try to upgrade to xfree 4.3.
>
> Peter McCracken wrote:
> >It says in my make.conf that athlon-4 will cause invalid
> > instructions; nothing special is said about athlon-xp. Which
> > version of gcc has problems with athlon-xp?
> >
> >-Peter
> >
> >On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 03:45, Leonid Podolny wrote:
> >>It's written at the comments in /etc/make.conf, that
> >> '-mcpu=athlon-xp' produces invalid instructions. I still use it,
> >> but it may be the source of your problem.

I was looking at this thread and was wondering why I don't have the
problems starting KDE that some are. I am running xfree-4.3.0-r2 KDE
3.1.2 andgcc (GCC) 3.2.3 20030422 (Gentoo Linux 1.4 3.2.3-r1,
propolice)
grep CFLAGS /etc/make.conf
# For optimal performance, enable a CFLAGS setting appropriate for your
CPU.
#CFLAGS="-mcpu=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe"
#CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe"
# If you set a CFLAGS above, then this line will set your default C++
flags to
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

I notice that I don't have the {CFLAGS="-mcpu=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe} line.
Am I missing out on some optomisation here? Or could this be a factor in
why my KDE starts and others' doesn't?
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free