Ohad Lutzky wrote:
On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 09:01:12AM +0100, MAL wrote:

I'm afraid you can't connect a modem to a hub (in this circumstance) :)
If your ADSL modem only has an ethernet port, your linux box will need two network cards. One to connect the PC to the hub, and one to connect the PC to the modem. If the modem has a USB port, and it's one of the (relatively few) ADSL modems with a Linux driver, you could connect it via USB and thus avoid the need for a second network card.

No USB ports here... neither on the modem nor the computer.

Ok, so you either need a second network card, or use the dubious method of doing to accross a hub as described elsewhere in this thread :)

To actually get the second PC on the internet, your Linux PC will need to have the following enabled in the kernel:

Networking options --->
 IP: Netfilter Configuration  --->
   Connection tracking [M]
   IP tables support [M]
   Full NAT [M]
     MASQUERADE target support [M]

Can't see those. I can see "Network packet filtering (replaces ipchains)"
though. vanilla-sources-2.4.21.

Yes, my mistake. If you enable 'Network packet filtering', the option I mentioned above will magically appear :)

The last step is to set up your two PCs /internal/ interfaces. For such a small network, I would simply give your Linux PC the IP:

192.168.0.254

and your Win98 machine: 192.168.0.1

How do I do this? My PC seems to automatically retrieve its IP address. Is it done through adsl-setup?

It's getting an external IP address from the modem via PPP. This is correct, and I assume this is being assigned to your eth0 interface? You should set your _second_ network card's IP address to 192.168.0.254

See the Gentoo documentation on how to do this.

x.x.x.254 is commonly used for a gateway machine on LAN, and this is exactly what your Linux PC will be.

You will also need to set your Win98 box's Default Gateway to 192.168.0.254, and it's DNS servers to whatever your ISP gave you.

Sounds horribly complex, but I'll try it. I'll let the people from my ISP set it up using Windows first, so I'll know I have the hardware connected right. By the way - why is it specifically 192.168.0.x?

192.168.x.x is a range of IP addresses, reserved for LAN use. That is, they are not valid on the internet.

There is also 172.16.x.x-172.31.x.x and 10.x.x.x , but these are for larger local networks.

MAL