Is there any way I can inform the portage system of a kernel upgrade - so that
it can automatically recompile packages which depend on the kernel (like,
alsa-driver and the nvidia modules)?

I upgraded my kernel from 2.4.19 to 2.4.21 (due to the ptrace-exploit). The
emerge vanilla-sources just unpacked the tarball in /usr/src/linux. I
compiled and copied the kernel image manually. So the portage system did not
know about the change. The next time I rebooted into the new kernel, alsa did
not work and neither did X. So I had to manually (re)emerge alsa-driver,
nvidia-kernel, and nvidia-glx.

Is there a way to automate this process?

Nandz
--
http://home.iitk.ac.in/student/nanda