i just finished installing gentoo on a dell dimension 2350 and after multiple
attempts, the only way i could get a stable boot was to complie a kernel
without support of my sound card.

now i just can't get along without my tunes, so i'm hoping someone here can
help me out.  this is what i've got:

dell dimension 2350
windowsxp (former OS) identified the sound card as "soundmax onboard audio"
cat /proc/pci gives me this (among other things):

  Bus  0, device  31, function  5:
    Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB AC'97 Audio (rev 2).
      IRQ 11.
      I/O at 0xe000 [0xe0ff].
      I/O at 0xe400 [0xe43f].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe6081000 [0xe60811ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe6082000 [0xe60820ff].

so my best guess was this driver in the kernel menuconfig's sound section:

  Intel ICH (i8xx), SiS 7012, NVidia nForce Audio or AMD 768/811x

but compiling this in panicked my kernel. so am i s.o.l. here? or should i be
using a different driver?  any input would be very much appreciated.

thanks

--
the road to hell is paved with good intentions
  - unknown