During my compile of xfree on a fresh system, I observed none of the
ccache stats displayed by the following command were changing while
compiling xfree, while the stats changed for some other package
compiles.
  CCACHE_DIR='/var/tmp/ccache' ccache -s

Perhaps of note, I had enabled distcc.

I also monitored the compile with top on the compiling machine and two
other slave machines and did not see any activity indicating more than
one job was compiling at a time.  For some other package compiles, jobs
were dispatched among my machines.

Cheers,

-Arthur