gabriel wrote:
and now i have a working k3b with dvd ripping/encoding support. yay! but then today i tried the usual:

# emerge --update --deep world

and instead of getting the usual "you have these packages to update", i got this:

        Calculating world dependencies -
        !!! all ebuilds that could satisfy ">=media-libs/divx4linux-20030428" have
        been masked.
        !!!    (dependency required by "media-video/transcode-0.6.8" [ebuild])

        !!! Problem with ebuild media-video/transcode-0.6.8
        !!! Possibly a DEPEND/*DEPEND problem.

!!! Depgraph creation failed.

doing adding the "--upgradeonly" option didn't work either, so now i'm stuck with a crippled system until i either (a) downgrade my software, or (b) figure out wht someone is supposed to do in this position. anyone care to fill me in?

Yes. This is a common problem when people install a blend from x86 and ~x86. This is the reason I moved to no hassle ~x86. Anyway, first run emerge regen for sanity check. Then, perhaps try adding the ~x86 packages you emerged to /etc/portage/package.unmask (create if not there). Then try again.

btw, outside of the above, i've found no problems with k3b-0.9pre2 so i'd suggest that it get unmasked... where do i make this suggestion?

File an enhancement bug at http://bugs.gentoo.org/.