Have just installed G2 using stage1-x86-20030717.tar.bz2 and get
the following during boot, can anyone shed some light on the
xargs: error message,

        * Configuring kernel parameters...                      [ ok ]
        * Cleaning /var/lock, /var/run...
        xargs: environment is too large for exec                [ ok ]
        * Cleaning /tmp directory...                            [ ok ]

Using 2.4.20, which I also use to boot Slackware and Debian, on other
partitions without the message, curious.

There apparently was a kernel patch for this in the 2.3 kernel.

When I first log in on tty1, there are also a lot of modprobe messages
related to modules which i neither have or want.

tia.

--
Kevin Hayes