Marshal Newrock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Steven Elling wrote:
>
>> > I used 'net-setup eth0' and selected the 'Use DHCP to auto-detect my
>> > network settings' option. Then when i enter 'ifconfig' neither eth0 nor
>> > eth1 are there. If i enter 'ifconfig eth0' there is no IP address shown.
>> > I even tried using 'dhcpcd eth0' but that doesn't work either.
>>
>> I notice the same problem on my Pentium 133.  I had to set a static IP to
>> get network connectivity up.
>
>Do you have socket filtering enabled in the kernel?  I don't know how or
>why, but this seems to be required to allow dhcp to work.

I am in the initial stages of the installation, trying to do 'emerge sync'. So, i
haven't had a chance to enable socket filtering yet. Is it possible to install just
from the CD, and enable socket filtering first?

I also tried using static IP, but still have the same problem. I was also told to
activate eth0 and eth1 using the command 'ifup eth0' and 'ifup eth1', but i get the
error message 'ifup: command not found'. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

Az.