On Thursday 24 July 2003 16:37, Asgodom Woldu wrote:
> You are right guys, 'ifup' and 'ifdown' are debian commands, he did say
> that he uses debian. i was able to use 'ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.1 up' to
> activate the card, however, i still have the same problem even though the
> card is activated. do you think it could be a driver problem? i am using
> Netgear FA311 and Belkin F5D5000. is it possible that gentoo can detect
> the cards, but still have a driver problem? forgive me if this is a silly
> question, but i am running of ideas :(

I used the IP 10.0.0.1 as an example.  If you are going to use static IPs,
you need to use one for the network you are on.  Are you directly
connecting to the Internet or are you on a private network with a gateway,
firewall or proxy to the Internet?  Is DHCP being used on the network to
handle dynamic IPs?

If you are directly connected to the Internet, you cannot use any IP as
defined in RFC1918 (http://www.rfc-editor.org/) because they are reserved
for private networks and are not routeable to the Internet.  The IP ranges
in RFC1918 include 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255,
and 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255.  You will need to find out what IP
address range your ISP is using and then try to find an IP that is unused.
Warning, doing this will cause an IP conflict if someone else starts using
the IP you used.

If you are on a private network, you will still need to find out what IP
address range is being used.  You will also need to set the routes and/or
define where the proxy server is using http_proxy and ftp_proxy (man wget
for more details).

Once you get the network details figured out and the interfaces configure,
try to ping a neighbor or one of the routes.

In my experiences, if the kernel/Gentoo can detect the card and load the
drivers then their is nothing wrong with the drivers --- provided of course
the drivers are not alpha, which they shouldn't be.