Thanks,
I will look at the emerge option "-v". When should I clean the "/usr/portage/distfiles" and how?

Actually, you should do an "emerge -uvp kde" first. This will list all the packages which will be installed.

When a package gets installed, portage downloads the source in /usr/portage/distfiles. The source will be unpacked and compiled in /var/tmp/portage. After a package is installed, you could remove its source from /usr/portage/distfiles. I belive /var/tmp/portage gets cleaned out automaticly though.

--
hw