Well, from what I'm seeing..it's close to linear speed up minus about
10-15% overhead.  So if you have 2x boxes you should see around
1.6-1.8 speedup.  I'm using a 3 box compile 'farm' of 2 gentoo boxes
(AthlonXP) and a XP (P4) and I'm seeing <2.5min kernel compiles
from a make clean -> time make -j[5 or 6] bzImage.  I'd consider that
pretty substantial.  Remeber that some packages don't handle the
-j[n] option well and even though you put the FEATURE="distcc" in
they won't use it...xfree comes to mind, it uses distcc, but only at -j2.
Again, you can set your DISTCC_HOSTS to actually do the compiles
'off-site' by leaving your slow machine out of the list of hosts.  That way
even with a linear build you will be doing the grunt work 'off-site' and
just linking, etc. onsite.

This is the way I'm going to build my new firewall/router.  I'll leverage
all my fast boxes to build the system and leave it completely out of the
DISTCC_HOSTS line...it's only a 200MHz and I've got 2.0, 2.4, 1.8,
1.6GHz to throw at the real work.

-Rob

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:35:11 -0400, Prabhat Gupta wrote
> Hi Rob,
>
> Thanks.
>
> So after bootstrapping can I emerge distcc and compile the kernel ,
>  X and kde-base with distcc?
>
> Is it going to make a lot of difference in compile time?  Jason
> indicated that It will not make  a lot difference.
>
> Bootstrapping is still going far last 12 hours. It is a  P166, 80M.
> 1.6G for for gentoo (excluding swap).
>
> Regards
> Prabhat
>
> Rob Snow wrote:
>
> >DISTCC: http://distcc.samba.org
> >
> >It's quite simple to use and I would recommend building all your
> >portage that way, it takes all of 1min to setup and the payoff is
large.
> >(about 75-85% performance increase for each host added)
> >
> >Basically for portage you just emerge distcc and add distcc in your
> >FEATURES line.  The downside is that not all of portage does not
> >support make -j(n) so some packages will not take advantage of it.
> >
> >Another option is to compile on a different box, you can set your
> >DISTCC_HOSTS to not include the local machine, which will
cause
> >most actual compiling to take place somewhere else.
> >
> >ie. DISTCC_HOSTS="thisbox fastbox" will split the compiles
across
> >thisbox and fastbox, however, DISTCC_HOSTS="fastbox" will
make
> >all the compiles take place on fastbox...handy for that 166 when
> >fastbox is a 2.0GHz.
> >
> >Additionally, you can use DISTCC with the Cygwin cross-compiler
> >use a XP (or set of XP) box as a compile host.  This is what I do, do
> >minimal install of Cygwin (~5min?) and then follow the excellent
> >HOWTO at:
> >
> >http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=66930
> >
> >or grab my cross-linux-3.2.3.tar.bz2 at:
> >
> >ftp://ftp.dympna.com/cross-linux-3.2.3.tar.bz2 (23.3MB)
> >
> >and untar into /usr/local and do /usr/local/bin/distccd.sh (~5min?)
and
> >add that xp box into your DISTCC_HOSTS line:
> >DISTCC_HOSTS="thisbox fastbox xpbox"  I've even included a
script
> >to make DISTCC run as an NT service (/usr/local/bin/mkservice)
so it
> >has no visible effect on XP/NT...just runs in the background.
> >Downside is that it's a 23.3MB download, but you only need it once
> >per toolchain change. (currently it's at gcc-3.2.3 / glibc-2.3.2 /
> >binuntils-2.14.(forgot) / distcc-2.8) which is the current stable build
> >environment.
> >
> >-Rob

> >it

> >filesystem onto