Hi!

SB> Hi,

SB> I installed gentoo a while ago already.

SB> The first part of the boot goes fine, and then when it switches
SB> to level 5, my screen becomes gray for at least one or two minutes
SB> before i can see the X login screen. It is working fine but it just
SB> takes forever.

SB> Note that I am using 'kdm'. I tried to swicth to 'xdm' to see
SB> if this was related but it just does not work at all with xdm.

SB> What can be the cause?
SB> The display manager?
SB> My X server?
SB> My XF86Config config file?

Do you have a nvidia card? If so and you use nvidia driver (not nv
driver) you should check out the "IgnoreDisplayDevices" option for
XF86Config (in nvidia readme).

After I put it into my XF86config the startup time changed from 2-3
minutes to 2-3 seconds.

Also check the forums. There tons of threads on this issue.

Regards,
  Renat