Just thought I'd post this in case others have the same problem.  I got
my network working finally by installing the vanilla sources.  I didn't
have to edit or do anything else once the vanilla-sources where compiled
and installed. For some reason the gentoo-sources would not work with
this card (3Com 3cSOHO100-TX).

Jason