On Sunday 03 August 2003 14:03, Steven Elling wrote:
> On Saturday 02 August 2003 15:23, Stephane Brossier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I emerge some ebuilds yesterday, and then i got a warning that I
> > should run etc-update to merge some files.
> >
> > I used the "-5" option which automaticall merge the files,
> > and it seems it deleted some of my config files such
> > as /etc/fstab.
>
> One of my questions about etc-update and portage is, why etc-update /
> portage even consider critical files like /etc/fstab for a update?
>
> It seems to me that files like this should never be considered for upgrades
> because they are static in nature, only need to be set up once, and if
> changes do need to be made it is because the admin of the box has changed
> the hardware configuration.

This is not entirely correct. There was an update to /etc/fstab recently which
included a minor change. The change was to the /dev/shm line and changed the
first section from "tmpfs" to "none". Albeit this is only a minor change, but
major changes could take place. If those changes are made available through
portage then there is no need for any user to be subscribed to a mailing
list, scan forums, etc. to be notified of the change.

Regards,
Jason