Hello again.

I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it's easily possible to do with emerge.
What I'd like to have happen is, emerge downloads and unpacks the source
as usual, but it then treats that source as if it were in a read-only heirarchy.
Therefore, it would put all the files it creates for my system (config files,
object files, final binaries etc.) into a directory of my choosing.

I understand it's possible to do with make (I'm not sure HOW, I haven't gotten
there yet).  I had personally never heard of it, and the friend who told me
about it seemed rather shocked.  Apparently it's used a lot in professional
(as in for money, not knocking the professionalism of linux) programming
environments, at least that has been his experience.

I understand the reason for this, it seemed very obvious once he told me about
it.  Since the source isn't in the same directory as the "working" files,
it's protected from most stupid mistakes, and also doesn't get lost in the
clutter of .o and other "temporary" or system-specific files.

Thanks for any information!
Adam