Heschi Kreinick wrote:
<snip>

Your initial discussion did not relate to my bug at all.

But, you ask, how do I get rid of them? That's what dep-clean is for. It's

I did not ask this.

usual, I think this is a documentation bug, not a portage bug. Would you
really prefer that Portage waste its time and yours on packages nobody uses?

Of course not. I'm suggesting adding a switch to portage which gives you the option to use it or not use it.

So, now to address your bug entry.
/var/db/pkg/category/package/{,R,P}DEPEND files. Either way, unless I've
misunderstood, it's already available in one way or another.

There is no method available currently in portage to achieve the same effect as [2] in the bug.

Finally, there are plenty of things in Gentoo that de facto require a tool
to do them right. There's ufed, mirrorselect, and etc-update. I don't see
why qpkg shouldn't be part of that list if you really, really want to update
all these packages.

Well, the reason is simple. This is, the way I see it, base functionality. It is extending --deep to include the full map of packages. And this is why it requires due attention from the parent package.

Either I've explained it inadequately or people are just not getting it. Yes, I can use a hack to do this but given that portage already almost achieves this effect adding such a feature will provide completeness and will prevent confusion arising form differing results between [1] and [2]. And the results are very different believe me. There have been times when on a fully up to date machine when [2] was executed it brought up a list an additional 20 or more updates. That kind of neglect IMO deserves at the very least some justification as to why they are being allowed to grow out of date.

Thanks for feedback.