On Saturday 30 August 2003 09:02 pm, Jussi Sirpoma wrote:
> On 31.8.2003 2:38 Ernie Schroder wrote:
> > ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > sleep 5
> > mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/backup
> > exit
>
> You should change this to:
>
> ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] <<END
> sleep 5
> mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/backup
> END
>
> > ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > sleep 5
> > umount /mnt/backup
> >
> > echo
> > echo "   Spinning down backup disk..."
> > /sbin/hdparm -y /dev/hdb                # spin down disk
> > exit
>
> And this similarly to:
>
> ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] <<END
> sleep 5
> umount /mnt/backup
>
> echo
> echo "   Spinning down backup disk..."
> /sbin/hdparm -y /dev/hdb                # spin down disk
> END
>
> Regards,
> Jussi Sirpoma

Jussi,
Thanks for your help. It seems to be working, except for the rsync
itself.
        Probably due to my own stupidity, the host name of the remote machine
is Ernie.schroder.com. This may be my problem. when I try to run the
script, I get:

# my-rsync
   Mounting boot partition...

   Mounting backup disk...
Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.

   Performing backup...

Ernie.schroder.com: Connection refused
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

   Unmounting boot and backup partitions...
Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.

   Spinning down backup disk...

/dev/hdb:
 issuing standby command

Is this a syntax error or due to my hostname?
Suggestions?
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free