I have newly installed stage1 Gentoo on a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop.  I used the standard gentoo-sources kernel when compiling.  I get bizarre behavior from modprobe on the root terminal after I log into another TTY as a standard user.  When I log in just as root, I do not see this error.  The error is:

Modprobe:  Can’t locate module /dev/vttuner

Or Can’t locate module scd* which is needed for /dev/scd*

There is about 25 different lines of these error being displayed on the root terminal screen.  They are all different and for items I DID NOT compile into the kernel, such as APM, VTTuner, Rio500, radio, etc…

Has anyone seen this?