On second glance, a lot of these are not even modules.  Some of them seem to be random items out of my /dev/ directory.  Like /dev/video…

I found an earlier post with no reply…This is my exact problem:

i just reinstalled gentoo on this box (after having a pretty good build for around 6 months until i filled the hard drive up so tight with junk i could'nt install anymore) so i go to reinstall and it all works fine and dandy, except that on my first virtual terminal there are modprobe error messages scrolling by every now and then that say "modprobe: Can't localte module" and then it will specifiy a name, except the things it is specifying are not even modules, it just picks stuff out of my /dev dirrectory and tries to load htem then pipes the output to that terminal and clutters them, i want to know why it's trying to load these things as modules (there are many differant devices in dev it will try, most of the time /dev/apm_bios (which does not even exist...) , but often other things too), how to stop it, and why it is piping it all out to that term, anyone know? i dont remember having the problem the last time that i installed gentoo.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Mattson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:
Sunday, August 31, 2003 7:55 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [gentoo-user] Modprobe Errors

I have newly installed stage1 Gentoo on a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop.  I used the standard gentoo-sources kernel when compiling.  I get bizarre behavior from modprobe on the root terminal after I log into another TTY as a standard user.  When I log in just as root, I do not see this error.  The error is:

Modprobe:  Can’t locate module /dev/vttuner

Or Can’t locate module scd* which is needed for /dev/scd*

There is about 25 different lines of these error being displayed on the root terminal screen.  They are all different and for items I DID NOT compile into the kernel, such as APM, VTTuner, Rio500, radio, etc…

Has anyone seen this?