> Note the line: sda: Write Protect is on. How can I turn it off?

> There is no physical write protection on the device. When I put it >
on a Xbox I can copy save games to/from it.

> I don't know if I should be worried about the unknown partition
> table since it an Xbox formatted USB memory stick (I'm trying to
> install Linux on the Xbox, with the MechInstaller from
> xbox-linux.sf.net).

What is the file system Xbox uses, i.e. what file system is on the
stick? If it is NTFS then Linux cannot write on it because there is only
read-only support for NTFS. Try with FAT32, and see if it works then.

Second thing that comes to mind is the kernel version: if you happen to
have (gentoo-sources) 2.4.20-r5, then upgrade to r6. That solved the
problem for me - I also have a memory stick to which I wasn't able to
write (reading was ok), until I upgraded my kernel.

I can't remember if I got similar "write protect on" message with r5
though, but at least now with r6 it works...

Kari