When I started to compile the kernel with genkernel it made it all the way through successfully but at one point I got a message of:

Copying System.map to /boot/System.map-2.4.20-gentoo-r5.......
mv: cannot stat `/boot/System.map': No such file or directory

Is this anything to be worried about?? Thanks.. icon_smile.gif

One other question is the two things that it says when its done compiling at the bottom of the screen.

Please specify /boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r5 and /boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-rs when customizing your boot loader configuration files.

So my question is that I've configured the kernel using genkernel and have configured Grub and grub.conf like so:

I'm not a grub expert so please let know if this is correct please.

<grub utility>
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit
*****************
<grub.conf>
default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=My Gentoo Linux (compiled by genkernel)
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-KV root=/dev/hda3
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-KV

This is my question. Does the above look configured correctly and are the "grub.conf (kernel and initrd lines)" suppose to look like this:

"kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/hda3 vga=795"

"initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r5

How are these lines suppose to look very specifically from:

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel- <from this point here...on>

Oh ya..

The install guide says:

Using framebuffer

People who have selected framebuffer in their kernel should add vga=xxx to their bootloader configuration file.

How do I know if this has been selected. Where do I look? Remember I'm a noob so please put the kids gloves on.. icon_biggrin.gif I'm not stupid just a new to linux somewhat.

Do you Yahoo!?