On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Ernie Schroder wrote:

>       This morning I went out and got a shiny new 10 port 10/100 switch.
> So, after hooking it up, I did an scp of a stage-3 tarball from 1
> gentoo box to the other Throughput was 656 kb/sec,virtually the same
> as with the10 Base hub. I restarted net.eth0 on both boxes and tried
> again. This time, the throughput was 971 kb/sec or about 1.5 times as
> fast. Should I expect more? both machines have 10/100 nics and the
> switch shows connection at 100 Base. The boxes are both connected to
> the hub with 6 foot cat5e patch cords. Is there some configuration
> I'm missing do I need to reboot? :-( What kind of throughput do
> others see on a similar setup?

Do you have mii-tool installed?  You can use it to view the connection
speed, and restart negotiation.  The speed is on the physical level, and
won't be affected by restarting net.eth0.  I would hope the card would
re-negotiate with the new switch, but it might not.  You can force it with
mii-tool.  Also, both card and switch should display what speed (10 or
100) it believes it is connecting at.

As far as measuring bandwidth, there's a program called 'bing' (which is
not in portage) which will determine the available bandwidth between two
points.  I'm sure there's many good programs in net-analyzer as well which
do things like that.

--
Marshal Newrock, unemployed Linux user in Lansing, MI
Caution: Product will be hot after heating