On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 10:03:49 -0700
Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 09:45, Adam Dunstan wrote:
> > "TELSTRA, Australia's largest technology company, has nailed its
> > colours firmly to the mast of open source software, creating a
> > potential nightmare for Microsoft and sending shivers through a
> > range of traditional platform providers."
> >
> > http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,7136841%5e16123%5e%5enbv%5e,00.html
> >
> > that's a pretty big company, (one witch is currently fucking about
> > with my adsl connection), but im happy there are going open source
> > :)
> >
> That's exciting! However, we tried Star Office and had to give up. It
> doesn't handle all the Word docs we get that have forms built in, or
> at least we couldn't get it to do it well enough to depend on it. They
> look bad on screen and print even worse. (This was 6-8 months ago.)
>
> I still have the Star Office box on my shelf. A pity.

Not being a business user, I may not know what I am talking about, but
the only approach that works with open/closed software is the following:

1. Note the documents that don't work.
2. Supply copies to the developers.
3. Ride their ass until it does work.

Saying "this fscking thing doesn't work" and setting the box on the
shelf may let off a little steam, but it accomplishes nothing
worthwhile.

The only thing I've noted that doesn't work very well with OpenOffice is
word documents that use fonts that aren't available to OpenOffice.  The
only thing that OpenOffice can do is "best guess," so it is not
surprising when things work differently.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the