On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 15:13, Marshal Newrock wrote:

> > Or do I need to add the c option since it says make a 'character' special
> > file?
> >
> > mknod /dev/rtc c 10 135
>
> You have the command written correctly the second time.  However, as
> Gentoo defaults to using devfs, you shouldn't have to manually create a
> /dev entry.  But you still have the options of: 1) Compile enhanced RTC
> support into your kernel (or as module), 2) find what wants enhanced RTC
> support and don't use it, or 3) ignore the error.

Thank you Marshal. This would probably explain why my last kernel (for
which I somehow lost the .config file...) didn't have the problem. If I
compiled in enhanced rtc support the last time, then Gentoo would have
created whatever it needed in terms of /dev/rtc and there was no
complaint. If that's the case, then I'll first do a new kernel and see
if the messages just go away.

(And I'll stick a copy of my .config on another machine as a back up...)

> > QUESTION 2: Is there a way to see the major and minor numbers, along with
> > the type of device an existing character or block special file is once it
> > exists in /dev? I cannot find the sort of intuitive 'lsnod' command. How
> > does one make sure that the major minor numbers don't trample on each other?
>
> It's simpler than you think.  'ls -l /dev' shows you what it is.  The
> first letter of the permissions is b for block device, c for character
> device, or l for symlink.  If it's a symlink, then you have to look at
> what it links to.  But then, you'll see two numbers (a, b) in the size
> field.  This is the major, minor numbers.
crw-r--r--    1 root     root       1,   9 Dec 31  1969 urandom

So this is a character special device, major number 1, minor number 9

which matches the info in devices.txt:

 1 char        Memory devices
        1 = /dev/mem          Physical memory access
        <SNIP>
        9 = /dev/urandom      Faster, less secure random number gen.

Thanks!
Mark