On 6 Sep 2003, at 1:52 am, Spider wrote:

begin  quote
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 18:39:16 -0400 (EDT)
Marshal Newrock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Ernie Schroder wrote:

As far as measuring bandwidth, there's a program called 'bing' (which
is not in portage) which will determine the available bandwidth
between twopoints.  I'm sure there's many good programs in
net-analyzer as well which do things like that.

Lets play some homebrew stuff here:

on the server:
dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1M count=100
nc -l -p 9999 < testfile;

on the client:
time nc server 9999 >/dev/null

;

Repeat three or four times for good measure.

Sorry for replying to this so late - I seem to have some latency with my POP3 server & this has only just come through.

But I don't seem to have `nc` installed. What is it, please, and what package might I find it in..?

Thanks,

Stroller.