momesana wrote:
First of all, thanx for the link. It helped to solve the problem, even if the sollution was kind of rude.
I solved the problem with a very very dirty method! I simply got the jdk-1.4.2 from sun, installed it and copied it to /opt/blackdown-jdk.1.4.1 ... (I had copied the actuall blackdown dir to another place, of course) and everything works fine now. I did this because changing the $CLASSPATH seemed to have no effect and I was eager to see if such a method would work at all. won't this

You can set the vm you want to use with "java-config --set-system-vm" (as root). For example

        java-config --set-system-vm=sun-jdk-1.4.2.01
or
        java-config --set-system-vm=blackdown-jdk-1.4.1

lead to problems? Aren't there any packages that need exactly version 1.4.1 and will emerge not be confronted with problems when trying to update blackdown some day???

Every version should have its own slot so that you can keep as many of them as you like, but afaik this is not the case right now.

Regards,
        Stephan