> Maybe that's due to my non-recent hardware: PIII 733, 256MB ram,
> VIA M/B chipsets.

Are you serious?

I'm currently doing a stage1 installation on a 486 with 20MB of RAM. And
I'm happy for those last 4MB of RAM, bringing it up from "standard" 16MB to
20MB. :-)

That's what I call "non-recent hardware". :-)

The bootstrap has run for almost 60 hours so far and is still not near
completion. Then I will do an 'emerge sync' and an 'emerge system'. Plus
the remaining stuff, including the kernel. You know, the lot.

If successfull, I will report the outcome in the Gentoo forums.
Biker (because it can(?) be done (can it?))