So I got myself a dual xeon 2.6 with HT, 4gb RAM, and over a tb of hard drive space and I am looking to put gentoo on it. Looking around the forums I saw very little good information about smp installation and Xeon's in particular. So I thought I would ask you guys some questions and if all goes well and the system comes up I might write an install guide for SMP machines.

So here we go:
1) Any kernel variation suggestions and what should I enable/disable?
2) What is the deal with APIC?
3) What are the proper make settings (j8?)
4) I have booted once from the live cd (smp-noapic nofb) and only saw two processors in proc. Is this normal given that I have HT enabled in the BIOS? I thought HT just worked?
5) Anything else anyone thinks might be good to know before I start?

Any config files would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance!