begin  quote
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:47:22 -0400
Carl Hudkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       * Appears to the system as a USB mass-storage device
>       * No more than two hours of screwing with config files or kernel
>       rebuilds should be required to get it working.
>
>       Further, it must be compatible with my budget, which means it
>       costs less than $300 (US).  :)

okay, I'm quite late but I'll add my voice here anyhow.

I have an Olympus C-120, its the cheap variant, fix focus only digital
zoom and 2.0Mpixel. I got it to replace my even cheaper normal camera,
 It works quite nicely. I dislike the fix-focus, the quality is as
expected in the "quite cheap" pricerange.

I'd recommend you get a camera with optical zoom and controllable focus
if you want to get better shots at it, thats the things I miss most from
mine.  if you get a "cheaper" CCD you also want to control the ISO
levels and shuttertimes, or your pictures in gloom will come out
horridly colourdistorted in blotches due to low shuttertime and high ISO
values ( even if you used a tripod or other stable means)..

Configs are simple, I've got example code + instructions on my homepage
just to ease it up. (did it once I got mine to work)

overall I've liked the canon cameras I've used, and as long as you know
what you get and what you want to use it for, even the cheap ones are
good. :)

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!