Make sure that ReiserFs support is compiled into the kernel
monolithically, instead of being included as a module.

e.g. you should have:
File systems --->
<*> Reiserfs support

instead of:
File systems --->
<M> Reiserfs support

also make sure that you have the correct options compiled in/excluded per the docs at
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml under "Code listing 16.6:"